Say No To Racism

What everyone can do about racism. Get the latest on Race and racism issues.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Think racism is gone? Think again

Today is the first day of Black History Month, or African-American History Month if you are partial to being politically correct. This means we'll see a few more black movies and documentaries on TV and a few more photos of Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks.Fortunately, I have learned throughout the years that black history is much deeper than the typical, generic displays of celebration that we see during the month of February. This year, Black History Month has a much fuller meaning to me, though. I, like much of black America, have experienced discrimination before. However, almost six months ago the evil head of ignorance peeked through my door and really hit close to home. After my daughter, Taylor, and I moved out of Georgetown to embark on what we call another adventure, I developed an even greater pride in being black in America.

Read More